Friday, April 1, 2011

The blonde stereotypes defined by Barbie


For my visual piece, I made an image in Photoshop which shows the effect of Barbie on development of the blonde stereotype. The Barbie image has enforced most people's conception of blondes as being fake, plastic, airheaded, and simply sexually objects. I took a picture of me and combined it with a picture of a Barbie to satirize society's desire for blondes to fit into the perfect "Barbie" image. The combination of these two images creates an almost eery, doll like, lifeless girl; esssentially what many actresses and Hollywood models now look like. I titled this image Barbie's Tricks to being your best blonde self and included six ridiculous things to remember for every blonde to really drive home the idea that Barbie is teaching girls, specifically blondes, inappropriate and absurd values.

No comments:

Post a Comment